Year 6 History: Personal BJS stories from World War 2

By Mr. Setchell on Monday, January 16, 2017 in Geography, History, Year 6. 8 Comments

A primary source provides direct or first-hand evidence about an event. Miss Lambeth interviewed her grandfather about his experiences as a child during air raids. You can hear some of his fascinating account here.


Mr. Setchell’s grandfather was present at one on the key events of WW2. He was a marine and was on guard duty for Admiral Lord Mountbatten (Supreme Allied Commander, South East Asia) at the Municipal Building when the Japanese surrendered their occupation of Singapore on September 12th 1945.

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 19.22.10 Japanese_surrender_at_Singapore,_1945

We bet you have family members with a WW2 story to share. If so, reply below.


Get a Trackback link

Leave a comment

  • Gary Evans says:

    Hi Year 6, My Grandma Evans helped make Sptfires at Fisher and Ludlow in Digbeth. Grandad was in charge of search and rescue teams who helped rescue people from bombed houses. He worked in Coventry, Birmingham and Bristol.
    Grandad Farnsworth was a dispatch rider in North Africa. He rode motorcycles delivering messages for the Desert Rats. He regularly rode through enemy lines.

  • Marika Roath says:

    Sofia’s (6SW) grandad (yes grandad, my dad!) Douglas John Roath served in the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry. After nearly two years in India (from March 1942) his battalion was transferred to Iraq and held in reserve to counter any German move towards British colonies in the Middle East. Rommel and his Italian allies were pushing the British back towards Egypt which was the key to the Suez Canal. If that fell then the British would not be able to supply its empire in the Far East. Douglas was sent with the first Battalion to counter this threat on 22 May 1942, firstly arriving in Palestine, then onto Libya. He and his fellow soldiers fought in the Battle of Bir-el Harmat between 2 and 11 June 1942. Most of the battalion was lost in the battle. Douglas was captured by the Italians and was kept in a prisoner of war camp in Poland until he was liberated at the end of the war. As he was still fit and able he was kept in service and served in West Germany for a further year and 138 days before he was discharged and could return home on 30 July 1946.

  • Mr. Setchell says:

    Wow! Terrific detail – thanks for sharing. Any other true BJS WW2 stories out there?

  • Mrs Richardson says:

    Fascinating stories!
    When my dad was a baby, his house was bombed one night. It shattered the window in the room where he was sleeping in his pram, showering him with broken glass. Fortunately, he was unharmed, but the family felt forced to move away to avoid the raids.

  • Vasileios Gogouvitis says:

    my great grandad Spiros Tsatsopoulos was fighting for Greece in 1940 he did not die

  • Vasileios Gogouvitis says:

    my great grandad Spiros Tsatsopoulos was figting for Greece he did not die

  • Vasileios Gogouvitis says:

    yeah , my great grandad Spiros Tsatsopoulos was figting for Greece he did not die

  • Jake says:

    My grandpa was born in 1930. He was nine years old when the war broke out. He has kept diaries from the age of ten. I’ve seen some of his diaries when he wrote about Mr Hitler invading, and seeing the airships in the sky.